- Department of Policy and Evaluation
- Washington, DC
- 4-6 months (starting April/May 2014)
The Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) is an innovative and independent U.S. foreign aid agency that is leading the fight against poverty around the globe. MCC’s work is based on the principle that aid is most effective when it reinforces sound political, economic, and social policies that promote poverty reduction through economic growth. MCC’s Department of Policy and Evaluation (DPE) is looking for a PMF to contribute to the advancement of our unique and important mission on the Economic Analysis (EA) team.
Working closely with economists, monitoring & evaluation (M&E) specialists, and experts in other MCC departments, the EA team identifies the constraints to economic growth in its partner countries, develops cost-benefit analysis models to assess the likely economic impact and cost effectiveness of proposed projects, and analyzes the share of benefits accruing to the poor and other key populations of interest. As part of the MCC results framework, the EA team is spearheading a number of transparency efforts, including publicly sharing cost-benefit analyses and beneficiary analyses through the MCC website (see http://www.mcc.gov/err and http://www.mcc.gov/pages/activities/activity/beneficiary-analysis for more information).
Performing a variety of assignments, the PMF would be responsible for supporting the Managing Director for Economic Analysis and other EA team members. Depending on need, the PMF will work individually or as part of a team of MCC economists on several of the following projects:
- Conducting growth diagnostic analyses to identify the binding constraints to economic growth in MCC partner countries
- Developing and updating cost-benefit analysis models
- Assessing beneficiary distribution and poverty-reduction impact of approved and proposed projects
- Preparing economic analyses for web publication and dissemination as part of MCC transparency efforts
- Managing economic analysis data from past and present MCC compacts
- Coordinating team activities across compacts and analyzing team processes to determine best practices
- Updating technical guidelines, arranging meetings and other administrative and team coordination tasks as needed
- Depending on availability and budget, the PMF may have opportunities to receive training in economic analysis
Candidates with experience in international development or economics are preferred, and quantitative skills are highly desired. MCC is a very fast-paced work environment; candidates should be able to work both independently and as part of a team and handle multiple tasks successfully, often under tight deadlines. The position requires: (1) demonstrated understanding of development economics, public policy, or a related field; (2) strong quantitative background in economics, statistics or mathematics, and econometric skills; (3) excellent organizational and data management skills, including knowledge of database design and management and (4) exceptional analytical and writing skills. Candidates must be comfortable with writing macros, understanding and creating complex formulas, building graphs and charts, and manipulating large amounts of data using Excel, Stata or other statistical software. Experience with Crystal Ball, and/or Excel VBA will allow the PMF to take on more challenging quantitative projects, but is not required.
Presidential Management Fellow - Economics Program Officer
- Presidential Management Fellow